January 13, 2009, Tuesday
 


 
City

Kovrov is situated in Vladimir region on the bank of the Klyazma river in the Golden Ring area of Russia not far from that kind of historical and cultural centres as Vladimir and Suzdal. Kovrov is an ancient town. The first settlement appread in the 12-th century and was called Elifanovka.

But the legend says that this name existed not for a long time. After the church of the Nativity had been built on the bank of the Klyazma river, Elifanovka was called then the village of Nativity. The village was the part of Starodub principality. In 1238 the principality was destroyed by the Tatar Mongol hordes though the citizens of the principality struggled hard for their independence.

Since the 16-th century a new name of the village - the village Kovrovo has been met in ancient documents. It was called so in honor of its new owners - dukes Kovrovs. In 1778 the village got the title of the chief town of the yezd. The ceremony of the appearance of a new town was held on the 1-st of September 1778. This date is considered the birthday of the town Kovrov.

The terrible fire in 1789 almost completely destroyed the town. It couldn`t recover for several years and grew very slowly. In 1861 the line of Moscow-N.Novgorod railway lay through Kovrov. It promoted a rapid industrial development in our town.

Railway workshops, mechanical weaving, steam mills appeared in Kovrovo.The beginning of the strike movement dates back to the 80-th years of the past century. The names of famous revolutionaries such as Abelman, Kangin, Maleyev are well known in our country.

Kovrov now is an industrial town (with a highly developed industry). There are some plants, food processing and light industry enterprises. Kovrov is famous for its excavators and motocycles.

It is also a culture center. There are many libriares, cinemas, clubs, schools, palaces of culture and the Kovrov Politechnical Academy where you can get a high education. There are some historical places in our town. They are the monument and memorial house-museum to V.A. Degtyarov, the outstanding constructor of shooting automatic weapons, the monument to famous constructor G.S. Shpagin, the Kovrov historico-memorial museum, the Eternal Flame (the monument to those who fell in the war against fascism), the monument to the 200-th anniversary of Kovrov and so on.

Now the town has got its emblem. It`s animal, something between a lion and a leopard, symbolizes power and strength, mercy and generosity. Red colour means hope, joy and plenty. A running hare against the sunrise symbolizes speed, movement forvard, a victory overtime and space.

  Ковров. Базарная площадь

Афиша: октябрь`13

Экскурсии

Режим работы музея

вт - пт 10.00-17.00
сб, вс 11.00-17.00
пн выходной
последняя среда каждого месяца санитарный день
нерабочие дни, праздники 1-2 января, 7 января

Портал Культура.рф

 




All rights reserved.

© Kovrov historico-memorial museum
http://www.kovrov-museum.ru


© N. Komarova, V. Polyakov

 

Our address:
Vladimir region, Kovrov,
Abelman street, 20

Phone: (49232) 2-27-51, 2-19-25

E-mail: museum-kovrov@mail.ru

                                            Рейтинг@Mail.ru Rambler's Top100 Музеи России Музеи России - Профессионалу музейщику